There’s much to explore on the Traverse Wine Coast, and it goes far beyond a simple wine tasting in Traverse City. We’re here to offer you a comprehensive guide to wine tasting in Traverse City and the surrounding areas, which includes the wineries on Old Mission Peninsula and the many delightful Leelanau Peninsula wineries, including one of the best Traverse City wineries, Black Star Farms.
Over the past several decades, Michigan wineries have burst onto the radar of wine lovers nationwide. Though winemaking has been a part of Michigan’s culture for decades, it wasn’t until recently that the industry saw a boom. Today, it’s the fifth largest wine-producing region, with over 100 Michigan wineries spread across the state. Unsurprisingly, most of them are on the Traverse Wine Coast.
The Traverse Wine Coast is a comprehensive area that includes all the wineries in this part of Northern Michigan along the 45th parallel. Here, you’ll find a geographic area that encompasses the Leelanau Peninsula and the Old Mission Peninsula, regions that are climatically moderated by Lake Michigan. The lake effect extends the growing season and allows for a unique, bright, fruit-forward expression of wine.
We encourage you to explore all the Traverse Wine Coast has to offer, including traveling up both the Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas while enjoying some of the best wine tasting in Traverse City. While you’re in the area sipping and swirling your way through the top wineries, don’t miss your chance to stay amongst the vineyards themselves. Our bed and breakfast in Traverse City, located about 15 minutes out of town on the Leelanau Peninsula, is one of the best places to stay in Traverse City.
There, you’ll be surrounded by stunning vineyards, gorgeous country views, and unparalleled access to Michigan’s natural beauty, with ample opportunities to enjoy wine tasting and delicious meals at our onsite restaurant, Bistro Polaris, and countless outdoor recreation opportunities. There’s no place like it. Book your room now and experience an unforgettable, wine-forward adventure at one of the best places to stay in Traverse City.
Best Wine Tasting in Traverse City + Old Mission Peninsula
In an area rich with wineries, it probably doesn’t come as a surprise that there are a lot of places for wine tasting in Traverse City. The variety of tasting rooms near downtown Traverse City is perfect for visitors who may be short on time and want to dip their toes into the Traverse Wine Coast. If you have a few days, though, we highly encourage you to get out and explore the wineries on the Leelanau Peninsula and the Old Mission Peninsula.
In the meantime, enjoy some of the best wineries and tasting rooms in town! Below are some of our favorite spots for wine tasting in Traverse City.
- Lake District Wine Co. is a fantastic wine shop in downtown Traverse City, but they also host various events, including special wine tasting in Traverse City.
- The Traverse Wine Coast is famous for more than just wine – it’s also home to the cherry-picking capital of the world. Enjoy a unique wine tasting in Traverse City at Cherry Republic, where everything you see has at least a hint of cherry.
- One of the few wineries located near downtown Traverse City is Left Foot Charley. In their historically renovated tasting room in The Village at Grand Traverse Commons, you can enjoy a delicious wine tasting in Traverse City.
- Located just outside downtown Traverse City, there is another great spot for wine tasting, Rove Estate, which boasts the highest elevation of any winery on the Traverse Wine Coast.
Wineries on Old Mission Peninsula
So far, we’ve only scratched the surface of the best wine tasting in Traverse City. Venture out of the city, and you’ll find so much more incredible wine to drink on the Traverse Wine Coast. We’ll go into more on Leelanau Peninsula wineries below, including an in-depth look at our own award-winning Michigan winery, Black Star Farms. But first, here are some of the fantastic wineries on Old Mission Peninsula worth visiting.
- Your first stop on Old Mission Peninsula should be the Black Star Farms tasting room. This wine tasting in Traverse City features a large selection that is sure to please any palate.
- Mari Vineyards, reminiscent of a winery you’d find in the rolling hills of Tuscany, is a fantastic choice and one of the more unique wineries on Old Mission Peninsula.
- At Peninsula Cellars, one of the top wineries on Old Mission Peninsula, you can enjoy a laid-back atmosphere and sample a minimalist approach to winemaking.
- Chateau Chantal is the perfect spot for a delicious wine tasting in Traverse City, complete with exceptional views of Grand Traverse Bay.
- Brys Estate Vineyard and Winery is a gorgeous place to sip Michigan wine while enjoying exceptional vineyard views. During the summer, don’t miss their stunning lavender garden.
- Bower’s Harbor Vineyard is a cozy, delightful place to get a taste of the Traverse Wine Coast. In addition to wine, we also encourage you to enjoy a cider tasting here.
One of the Best Leelanau Peninsula Wineries
So far, we’ve introduced you to some of the best wine tasting in Traverse City – including those wineries on Old Mission Peninsula – and that’s before even getting to the amazing Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail, home to many award-winning Leelanau Peninsula wineries. The Leelanau Peninsula is home to the flagship location of Black Star Farms, where you’ll find not just our expansive tasting room but also our stunning estate vineyard and our top-rated Bed and Breakfast.
Among the 25+ Leelanau Peninsula Wineries, Black Star Farms is one of the most critically acclaimed. Our Traverse City winery has been producing internationally acclaimed wines from its local vineyards since 1998. To date, we produce over 50 different Michigan wines and spirits.
Our Suttons Bay Tasting room on the Leelanau Peninsula is about 15 minutes north of downtown Traverse City. We offer a beautiful indoor tasting room, a private VIP Barrel room for wine club members and Inn guests, and a seasonal outdoor patio. We offer wine flights and wines by the glass and opportunities for elevated wine tasting in Traverse City with our progressive and top-tier tasting.
More Great Leelanau Peninsula Wineries
For more exceptional wine tasting in Traverse City, you’ll want to explore many of the Leelanau Peninsula wineries to leave with a well-rounded experience at some of the best Michigan wineries. Below, we’ve listed ten more of our favorite Leelanau Peninsula wineries worth visiting.
- In addition to Black Star Farms, 45 North Vineyard and Winery is considered one of the best Leelanau Peninsula wineries. Its wine-tasting room is in a charming rustic barn overlooking 35 beautiful acres of vineyard.
- Chateau Fontaine Winery is one of the places to enjoy French-style wines while wine tasting in Traverse City.
- Verterra Winery is one of the leading Leelanau Peninsula wineries and has produced the best dry white wine in Michigan three years in a row. It’s a must for wine tasting in Traverse City!
- Bluestone Vineyard is home to a unique modern and industrial tasting room and is a great place to enjoy wine tasting in Traverse City.
- Like Black Star Farms, Shady Lane Cellars is a family-owned and operated vineyard specializing in award-winning wines and is a stop we highly recommend among Leelanau Peninsula wineries.
- Amoritas Vineyards specializes in white wines, and, as an added bonus, you’ll find an excellent selection of local art for purchase in their tasting room.
- Mawby Vineyards & Winery is the perfect place to go wine tasting in Traverse City, especially if you want to try some delicious sparkling wine.
- Leelanau Wine Cellars offers unbeatable views of Grand Traverse Bay, making it an excellent stop among Leelanau Peninsula Wineries.
- If you want a boutique wine-tasting experience at Leelanau Peninsula wineries, head to Aurora Cellars. You can’t find these wines anywhere but in their tasting room.
- Like the Cherry Republic in Traverse City, you’ll find some fun cherry wines at Silver Leaf Vineyard & Winery.
Traverse City Wine Tours
With so many fantastic places to go wine tasting in Traverse City and the surrounding Traverse Wine Coast, it can sometimes feel a little overwhelming. Why not take all the work out of it and let the experts take the wheel? Several companies are offering Traverse City wine tours. We’d be more than happy to help you choose among them and arrange tours for you so you make the most of your time enjoying wine tasting in Traverse City.
The Traverse Wine Coast has over 40 wineries, making it the perfect spot for a wine-forward getaway. The right Traverse City wine tours will not only treat you to some of the best wine tasting in Traverse City but also introduce you to the expansive world of Michigan wineries, leaving you with a lasting impression of this remarkable area. Here are the top Traverse City wine tours to consider.
- Perhaps one of the most unique Traverse City wine tours is the Grand Traverse Bike Tour. You’ll bike through some of the most beautiful scenery on the Traverse Wine Coast while enjoying some of the best wineries on the Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail.
- When it comes to fun and engaging Traverse City wine tours, few beat those offered by Traverse City Wine and Beer Tours. They offer a fantastic insight into wineries in Traverse City – and breweries! – and they offer a range of fun join-in tours or private tours.
- The Magic Shuttle Bus is another option for join-in or private Traverse City wine tours. These tours focus on the wineries on Old Mission Peninsula, offering you even more opportunities for a fantastic wine tasting in Traverse City.
- Another excellent tour for wineries on Old Mission Peninsula is this 4-hour tour with four stops and some of the best wine tasting in Traverse City.
Traverse City wine tours are perfect for couples getaways, girlfriend getaways, pre-wedding celebrations, trips with friends or family, and just plain fun.
Best Places to Stay in Traverse City
As you can see, there is way more wine tasting in Traverse City than can be enjoyed on a single trip. Whether you start with Traverse City Wine Tours or just right into a self-guided adventure to the top Leelanau Peninsula Wineries or the many wineries on Old Mission Peninsula, we’d love nothing more than to host you at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City.
Though we aren’t technically located in the heart of downtown, Black Star Farms is still a top-rated choice among places to stay in Traverse City. We’re found just 13 miles north of Traverse City on the gorgeous Leelanau Peninsula. It’s the perfect location to enjoy the best of this area, including top-rated wine-tasting experiences at our Suttons Bay Tasting room and an unbeatable sense of tranquility on our gorgeous winery estate.
Wine isn’t the only great thing to enjoy while you’re here. There’s no shortage of things to do in Traverse City and the Leelanau Peninsula, and we’re the perfect home base to enjoy it all. Our location is just one of the many reasons we’re considered one of the best places to stay in Traverse City. The experience here goes far beyond our top-rated winery and easy access to the area’s top attractions.
Our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City is a true destination. We offer ten well-appointed guest rooms, each outfitted with various amenities. That includes a complimentary bottle of our house wine waiting for you in your guest room!
Feel free to wander the onsite recreation trails, visit the horses at our Equestrian Center, enjoy wine tastings at your leisure, and savor delicious meals at Bistro Polaris, our onsite restaurant. We’ve curated several packages and enhancements to help you enjoy our estate to its fullest. From our Ultimate Experience Package, which includes the best of the best at Black Star Farms, to our seasonal Sailing Packages or Outdoor Adventure Packages, we offer a range of opportunities to enjoy the best this area offers.
There’s never a bad time to enjoy wine tasting in Traverse City, especially when you include all the incredible opportunities to sip and swirl along the Traverse Wine Coast, not to mention all the fantastic things you can do between your wine adventures. As you explore the area, there’s only one place worth staying, and it’s rated as one of the best places to stay in Traverse City. Book your room at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City, located on the Leelanua Peninsula, today!