There are plenty of fun summer traditions to enjoy in the Traverse City area, including sailing on Grand Traverse Bay and wine tasting on the Leelanau Peninsula. Another time-honored summer tradition is cherry picking in Michigan – and the Leelanau Peninsula just so happens to be a great place to enjoy that, too! In fact, the Traverse City area is considered the Cherry Capital of the World and thus is the perfect place to spend a few cherry-focused days this summer.
Beyond visiting orchards and enjoying a delightful afternoon cherry picking in Michigan, summer is also when the National Cherry Festival comes to Traverse City. This year marks the 97th anniversary of this spectacular event, which offers 7-days of cherry-infused fun in one of the most beautiful parts of Michigan. Get in on all the fun and spend a few days with us at our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City!
Our flagship property is a 160-acre equestrian-inspired estate. With ten gorgeous guest rooms, a wine-tasting room and outdoor patios, and ample opportunities for onsite recreation, there’s truly no better destination than our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City. We’d be more than happy to direct you to our favorite local orchards and help you arrange all the fun and adventure you crave, too! A summer of fun awaits – book your room at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City today!
Summer Cherry Picking in Michigan
There’s a reason that Traverse City has earned the moniker the cherry capital of the world, and it has everything to do with the bountiful orchards in the area! Traverse City is one of the best places to go cherry picking in Michigan, especially if you time your trip to also attend the National Cherry Festival. The Michigan cherry season is typically short, but with enough advance planning, you can enjoy some of the best cherry picking in Michigan this summer!
There are several fantastic U-pick cherry orchards in the Traverse City area. The best time to enjoy cherry picking in Michigan is typically early July through mid-August. Below, we’ve listed five of the best and closest cherry orchards near us for the best cherry picking in Michigan.
- Just north of our Suttons Bay location on the northern tip of the Leelanau Peninsula, you’ll find the Hallstedt Homestead. It’s a beautiful destination, and they offer a wonderful U-pick cherry experience. They offer eight sweet cherry varieties and the Montmorency tart variety of cherries.
- One of the closest orchards for cherry picking in Traverse City is Third Coast Fruit Co. This family-fun operation has grown cherries on the Old Mission Peninsula for over 100 years. Like other local orchards, they provide everything you need to enjoy a delightful afternoon on the farm.
- Head to the Mission Peninsula, and you’ll find Santucci Farm, a fantastic place to enjoy an afternoon of cherry picking in Michigan. They were one of the first U-pick farms on the Old Mission Peninsula and grow both sweet and tart cherries.
- Another Old Mission Peninsula orchard to visit for cherry picking in Michigan is the Cherry Connection at Edmondson Orchard. In addition to cherries, this farm also has a sensational variety of other farm-fresh fruits to enjoy.
- Rennie Orchards is another excellent place to enjoy cherry picking in Michigan. It’s located on the eastern side of Grand Traverse Bay in Williamsburg, just a short drive from Traverse City. They have a fantastic variety of sweet and tart cherries to pick and enjoy!
Cherry picking in Michigan is a time-honored summer tradition and one we love to share with our guests each year. These orchards are just a short drive from our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City, which serves as a fantastic home base for all your adventures in the Traverse City area. From sailing on the bay to wine tasting at our spectacular winery, we’d love to share the best of Traverse City, Michigan with you this summer!
Don’t Miss the National Cherry Festival
There are few things more delightful than spending an afternoon under the warmth of the summer sun, surrounded by a beautiful orchard, and enjoying some of the best cherry picking in Michigan. Given that Traverse City is the cherry capital of the world, though, our love of this ruby red fruit runs deep. That’s perhaps best on display at the annual National Cherry Festival, which takes place in the first week of July.
Today, Michigan grows around 75% of the tart cherry crop in the United States, most concentrated in northwestern Michigan near Traverse City. 2023 marks 97 delicious years of celebrating Michigan’s star fruit at the National Cherry Festival. As with previous years, the National Cherry Festival promises eight incredible days of fun – and of course, plenty of delicious, fresh cherries and cherry-based treats.
The National Cherry Festival offers something for everyone, including traditions as old as the festival itself. From exciting parades, nightly concerts, and air shows to fun races and cherry-centric foodie events, the National Cherry Festival is truly a spectacular celebration of Northwestern Michigan.
With so many great events, you’ll want to plan early. Tickets for various events, including air shows, concerts, picnics, and more, are currently on sale. Of course, while planning your trip, make sure to include accommodations at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City. We’re located a short 15-minute drive from the city, nestled on a stunning 160-acre estate on Michigan’s famed Leelanau Peninsula.
We’re close to some of the best orchards for cherry picking in Michigan, and an easy drive to the National Cherry Festival, yet far enough away to also enjoy enough downtime to come away refreshed. Experience the best of Michigan this summer, and book your room at our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City today!